Grown almost exclusively in California, Zinfandel is a powerhouse of a grape that rivals Cabernet in both richness and elegance. Zin’s tend to be big and bold with jammy fruit flavors of blackberry and plum, with firm tannins and a vanilla-spice finish. Many Zinfandels are called “Old Vine” Zin’s, which simply means that the vines themselves are old: typically over 40 or 50 years, but up to 125 years old! These vines produce less grapes, resulting in a more concentrated wine.
- California: Alexander Valley, Napa Valley, Amador County
- Italy(known as Primitivo)
- Aromas: Juicy Blackberry, Plum, Raisin(Old Vine), Pepper, Chocolate, Coffee, Tobacco
- Flavors: Blackberry, Cherry, Plum Raisin, Oak, Cedar, Coffee, Tobacco, Chocolate, Earth
- Red Meats, Lamb, Venison, Mild and Aged Cheeses